Constipation is when your bowel movements are irregular, i.e. your stooling doesn’t happen when you expect it to, it is painful and hard.
This means that there is no definitive definition for constipation. However, it is recommended that healthy people stool at least once per day and, in extreme cases, not more than three times daily.
If you don’t feel bloated and your poop is easy and regular, you will be fine, even if you have to go twice a week.
Constipation is when your colon muscles are unable to move the stool into the recriminations. This causes delayed stooling.
Stomach stool can build up in your colon and cause gassy symptoms.
Delay in bowel movements can cause toxic substances to recirculate back into your body, causing even more harm.
Furthermore, more water is absorbed back into your system. This makes your stool difficult and painful.
Constipation can be compared to poor or damaged plumbing that results in poor sewage movement.
This pollutes the environment and increases your chance of getting Cholera or Typhoid. Constipation can be dangerous for your health.
What causes constipation?
- Due to the low fiber content of processed foods, constipation can be caused by that. These foods make it difficult for proper bowel movements.
- Excessive consumption of red meat.
- Drinking too little water each day. Water softens your stool and fiber improves bowel movements. For good bowel movements, it is important to drink at least 5 liters daily in addition to fiber-rich foods.
- Sedentary living. This lifestyle can lead to a significant decrease in metabolism, which results in slower digestion and decreased bowel movement.
- Constipation can be caused by medical conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), diabetes, cancer, and hypothyroidism.
- Medications like NSAIDs (Motrin, Aleve), Antihistamines like Benadryl or Zyrtec, Tricyclic Antidepressants like Elavil and Pamelor
How to get rid of constipation fast at home using natural remedies
We will discuss natural ways to get rid of constipation quickly without side effects.
These natural remedies don’t cause any damage to the colon or large intestine.
They won’t cause electrolyte imbalance or interfere with the body’s ability to absorb certain nutrients and medications.
1. A mixture of salt and lemon juice
Salt draws water into the colon to soften stool and flush out the colon. Lemon juice is rich in natural laxatives that increase bowel movement and remove harmful bacteria and toxins from the colon.
How to treat constipation using salt and lemon juice
- Two teaspoons sea salt in a cup of warm water
- Split a lemon in two and place one half into warm salt water
Because it’s rich in fiber, Pawpaw can be used to treat constipation quickly. Chymopapain (or papain) are digestive enzymes that help speed up the process of protein digestion.
How to treat constipation using pawpaw
- Cut a ripened Pawpaw into small pieces and enjoy it every morning, just before you have your meal
- OR, boil slices of pawpaw in water and serve with your meals every day
- OR: Cut unripened Pawpaw into small pieces, soak in water with its seed, and drink a cup of it daily before breakfast
3. Castor oil
This option is not recommended for everyone. You may have trouble holding your poo for a while if you move too far from your toilet.
The taste is unpleasant so it may be necessary to add some fruit juice to make it more palatable.
How to treat constipation using Castor oil
However, I will stress that you should not go too far from your toilet.
- Two teaspoons of castor oils should be taken in the morning before you start your meal.
- Keep close to your toilet though
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera, a rich source of natural laxatives, improves bowel movements. It is also used to treat irritable bowel syndrome because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Aloe vera is a natural remedy for constipation.
- Two large, heavy aloe Vera leaves can be cut into small pieces
- For 3 days, soak in a jar or bottle of water
5. Baking soda
Baking soda is a natural way to get rid of constipation quickly. Baking soda can help with bloating. It will make your stomach gas pop out.
Baking soda as a treatment for constipation
- Combine a teaspoonful of baking soda with a cup of warm, boiled water.
- Get up early in the morning to drink before you start your breakfast
To ease rectal pain, add 2 ounces of baking soda to a warm bathtub and sit in it for 20 minutes.
6. Unsweetened yogurt
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria found in unsweetened yogurt. These bacteria aid digestion and reduce the risk of developing harmful bacteria.
These useful bacteria are your best friends as they prevent constipation and make toileting a pleasant experience.
How to treat constipation using unsweetened yogurt
- Take a cup of plain yogurt for breakfast, preferably.
- This is a good habit to make every day. It will keep your digestive system in tip-top shape.
7. Olive oil
Olive oil can be used to soften your stool if you have been experiencing difficulty stooling.
Olive oil, just like ordinary oil, or grease keeps moving parts of a machine moving smoothly; olive oil makes your bowel move nice and smooth.
Olive oil and constipation: How to Treat It
- Before you start your day, take a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Keep going until your bowel starts moving normally.
To increase the oil’s potency, you can add a teaspoon of lemon juice to dilute it.
These natural remedies will quickly get rid of constipation. You can also avoid constipation by eating healthy and exercising.
You can keep your stool moving smoothly by drinking plenty of water, having morning tea, coffee, fruits, and vegetables, and engaging in exercise.